Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A night to myself + what I made for dinner!

when i got off work yesterday i was feeling really tired and preparing myself to not get my to-do list done (yeah, that's a great way to get things done... NOT)
i arrived home to find that ruby had completely shredded her april barkbox. she ate two entire bags of treats, a bully stick, and a liquid treat that was supposed to be served frozen. plus she totally shredded to bits the cardboard box, tissue paper, and cards/inserts. this isn't the first time she has shredded a package. she does it a few times a month. we don't really know what to do to stop this behavior since we aren't at home when it happens.

after cleaning up her mess all over the lawn i came up with the idea to put a plastic tote at the gate to our front yard with a sign asking the mailman to place all packages in the bin away from the dog. i typed up, printed, and placed signs in sheet protectors. i taped some to the bin, some to the gate, and one to the front door. it doesn't look nice by any means but perhaps it will save my online purchases from death by shredding by dog... we'll see

after finishing that task i was tired and discouraged and frustrated with the dog so i came inside, turned on youtube, and watched my new favorite kinds of videos. {grocery haul, spring cleaning, housewife/stay at home mom vlogs, etc} my husband called me at about 6:30 and told me he had to stay out of town for work and i was going to have the house to myself tonight.

at about 7:00 i decided to grill chicken and veggies for dinner. on my meal plan i'd intended to make couscous and garlic bread with dinner but since my husband wasn't coming home i decided to go a bit healthier and stick to only the chicken and veggies. i've never used the grill by myself before so that was a little nerve wracking and it took a while but i did eventually figure out the grill and cooked my dinner! 

the weather was so nice while i was grilling that i stayed outside and played fetch with ruby. i wish we'd had our patio furniture out because it was nice enough to eat outside. after i finished cooking i cleaned up before sitting down to eat and watch a few more youtube videos. 

one of my favorite things about this new genre of video i've been really in to watching is that instead of only feeling motivated to buy makeup (which is this phase i've been stuck in for 3 years) these videos motivate me to clean, organize, get off my butt and take care of my house and be a better wife. i need to constantly push myself to clean, cook, organize, etc. it does not come naturally to me at all. but watching these videos of people who do excel at cleaning and their housewife duties helps me find the motivation to do the same.

when i finished eating i took care of my dishes, let the puppy in, took out all the garbage, straightened up my bedroom, and made my lunch for tomorrow. i played with the puppy for a little bit, did my nighttime skincare routine, and got in bed.

i didn't have a wildly productive evening but i did enough that i don't feel like the night was a loss. 

i also went over my planner for the next day and my menu plan and blog schedule for the rest of this week. i've been trying really hard to schedule out my time after work each day (i leave for work at 7:00 and get home at 4:30) so that i don't come home and waste away my evening. i love planning and writing lists and that is one thing that helps me get my work done around the house. in the winter i share a lot of the household responsibilities with my husband because we both work full time and then don't have a lot going on in the evenings but in the summer he works his regular 9-5 job and then goes straight to the farm and works until the sun goes down so i take on most if not all of the household work.

that was pretty much my whole night but before i go, want to see how my dinner turned out?


if you were wondering... i marinated boneless skinless chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce and minced garlic for a couple days. while i grilled the chicken i basted it with more teriyaki sauce. i cooked the veggies in a grill basket that was a gift from my parents last year. before putting them on the grill i tossed the veggies with olive oil, sea salt, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes.

it was delicious!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment