Tuesday, April 26, 2011

TAG: My Makeup Story

1. How old were you when you started wearing makeup?
I was able to start wearing mascara in 8th grade when I turned 13. That progressed into eyeliner and eyeshadow and powder foundation by the time I was in 9th grade. 10th grade is when I switched to actual foundation. By 11th grade I was earning my own money and could drive myself to the drugstore so I got more into blush, wearing foundation and powder together etc. My senior year I added experimenting with eyeshadow and smokey eye looks. My makeup progression kind of plateaued during the two years after high school but took off the Summer of 2010 when I had been watching Youtube for a few months and then made my first big e.l.f. order with my first makeup brushes and lipsticks and things like that.


2. How did you get into makeup?
I'd say Youtube/Beauty Blogs were the biggest influence that got me really interested in makeup beyond the everyday essentials.



3. What are some of your favorite brands?
e.l.f., Wet 'n' Wild, Rimmel, Maybelline, Revlon




4. What does makeup mean to you?
Makeup is a hobby to me. It's a collection, a past time, an interest, an outlet for experimentation and creativity, and a way to meet and bond with new people. I go out without makeup all the time and I don't always wear a full face of makeup to work but when I get up early and take the time to get ready I really feel better overall. I feel more positive and I feel more put together and ready for the day.




5. If you could only wear 4 products on your face what would they be?
Foundation, powder, blush, and lip balm. To me, nice looking skin is more important than eye makeup and when your skin looks nice you really don't need much more makeup.




6. What is your favorite thing about makeup?
This might sound silly, but before I became really interested in makeup I felt like I didn't have a "thing". I wasn't going to school, all the friends I made during school had graduated and moved back home, and I didn't really have any hobbies. Working full time in a small town when you don't really know a lot of people makes for a pretty boring day to day life. Then I discovered blogs and YouTube and started playing with makeup and then started this blog. Now my sisters (and I have 3 of them) and my mom come to me for advice on makeup and I feel more confident in my own makeup. I just like having a thing. Makeup is my thing.

 
7. What do you think about drugstore makeup vs high end makeup?
I have little to no experience with high end makeup. So I can't really comment on that. But I have plenty of drugstore makeup and I love it!




8. What is one tip of advice you can give to a beginner?
Get some makeup brushes. That made the biggest difference for me. Your face makeup will look better, your eye makeup will look better, and you will be able to experiment with a lot more looks and techniques.




9. What is one makeup trend you never understood?
Very brightly colored mascara if it isn't Halloween. I prefer black, brown, or very subtle color. I just don't think it's flattering.




10. What do you think about the beauty community on YouTube?
Well to be honest, I don't read the comments on videos and I don't comment a whole lot myself so I don't come across the "hate" very much. But I do think it's a great place for girls to get together and talk about makeup, fashion, hair, and just life in general. I like that I can go on there and know I can find a guru talking about almost anything I can think of and giving really good advice.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment