Monday, April 18, 2011

Freebies: Mario Badescu skincare samples

Back in January I read this post from In Her Makeup Bag about samples of skin care products from Mario Badescu. She said all she had to do was go to their website, take a skin type quiz, fill out a profile, and then she got an email a few days later about trying samples of her recommended products. I had heard of this brand before and knew they were pretty pricey so I thought I would go sign up to get my samples. I got the email and followed the instructions to get my samples but when I clicked the submit button I got a weird error screen. When I went back to try again it said I had already requested samples. I waited a few weeks and samples never arrived. I thought I would try again with a different mailing address and email address because I really wanted to try this brand. I went through all the steps again and got the same error message. I was pretty bummed (and out of alternate addresses) and all but given up on ever trying this brand. I had told my oldest sister about the samples so she signed up and actually got hers. She was nice enough to give me her samples so I could try them out and show them on my blog. I decided this past weekend would be the weekend I start using the whole regimen.


Let's take a look...
Included are 7 samples, a product guide/catalogue, and an application guide which is personalized to the samples you have received.
Now my sister and I have similar skin types but obviously it isn't exactly the same. I don't know what it's going to do to my skin to be using these products but with the issues I've been having I can't see it getting any worse so I jumped right in and I'm going to use them every day and night as directed.

Here's what I'm using...

Cucumber Cream Soap
"Contains a hint of refreshing and cooling Cucumber Extract. Safe and effective for gentle cleansing on any skin type. Removes light make-up."

This is the first product I use morning and night. I use a half-a-grape sized amount which might just be because I have such a small amount but it seems to do the job. The cleanser doesn't lather which I wasn't expecting and is hard to get used to, but again it's doing the job. It smells pleasant, not chemically or fragrancy.




Seaweed Cleansing Lotion
"Cleans and disinfects dry and sensitive skin. Mild Witch Hazel formula removes pore clogging debris and anti-inflammatory Seaweed and Aloe Extract soothe sensitive areas."

After I wash my face I take a cotton pad and rub this across my face in an upward and outward motion. It's basically the toner of the regimen. It also doesn't have much of a smell, not too strong with fragrance or chemical.




Kiwi Face Scrub
"Made with real Kiwi seeds and soft bits of Seaweed to naturally slough away surface dullness to uncover softer, smoother skin. Kiwi Seeds gently buff away dead skin cells skin while natural AHA’s breakdown dull build-up to prevent blackheads and improve overall texture."

They suggest using this product 2-3 times a week in the evening and I have already used it once. It is definitely the most gentle scrub I have ever used. I think I only got like 4 seeds in the amount I was using so I don't know how much scrubbing it was actually doing. I think it's the coolest of the products, I mean how many people can say they use kiwi to exfoliate their skin?! It also smells the nicest, very lightly sweet smelling.





Azulene Calming Mask
"Soothing Azulene, a Chamomile Extract, along with Balsam Peru, a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient, come together in this non-hardening mask that comforts irritated, red, and very sensitive skin types. Also made with Kaolin (clay) and Wheat Starch to absorb impurities in the pores. "

This is also suggested to be used 2-3 times a week and I have used it once. I was surprised that such a small amount covered my face. I'm not sure what difference this one use has made to my skin but I do look forward to using it again.

Hyaluronic Eye Cream
"Lock in the skin’s own natural moisture without the use of heavy, greasy oils. Absorbent, medium weight cream for use day or night. Aloe based formula makes this cream suitable for all skin types, even sensitive."

I have never used an eye cream before nor do I completely understand why they are necessary. I can say that this one is ridiculously moisturizing and feels great on my skin.

Control Cream
"An effective treatment for red, rashy, flaky and irritated skin types and Rosacea sufferers. Balsam Peru is the active, soothing botanical ingredient that will make a visible difference immediately upon application. Non-greasy, low oil formula. May be used for troubled areas of the face or in place of a moisturizer."

I used this after I used the Azulene Calming Mask and focused it on the areas of my face that have been the driest and reddest: my nose, the area between my nose and apple of my cheek, and over a few blemishes. I didn't pay very close attention so I don't know if it made a visible difference upon application, but you better believe I will be paying attention next time!

Drying Cream
"Drying Cream is an effective treatment to dry up small under the surface bumps and pimples. Just a few dabs smoothed on the erupted areas prevent pimples from getting larger and spreading out of control. Aloe rich cream conceals and heals erupted pimples."

I have used this a little here and there but haven't had chance to see how well it works (which is a good thing, it means I don't have any new breakouts at the moment). It has the most unpleasant smell of all the products, which isn't uncommon for acne spot treatments. It smells a little sulfur/chemically but it isn't overpowering nor does it linger on the skin.

The biggest different I have seen in my skin so far after 4 uses is that my skin is super moisturized. All the awful dry, flaky, scaley skin I have been dealing with on my nose and cheeks is completely gone. The samples didn't come with a moisturizer and I haven't been using my regular moisturizer but I haven't needed to, my skin is so soft and hydrated. I have also seen a slight improvement in the red blotchiness my skin is usually sporting. I have never been one to keep up with skin care routines that require multiple steps but I'm actually having a lot of fun with this one. I will you keep you updated on the results I am seeing with my skin.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment