Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Yard Sale Haul & DIY {Before & After}


I'm very excited to share not only a haul of items I picked up from numerous yard sales I visited one Saturday but I'm also going to show you the DIY projects I did with some of them and how they are all currently being used in my house!

I set out on my yard sale adventure with zero expectation to find anything but I ended up driving all over the county and had a total blast! When I visit yard sales and thrift stores the two things I find myself purchasing most are frames and glass items (jars, vases, bowls, etc.) and this trip was no exception!

Here is a before shot of everything I purchased!


Here's the rundown...
3 small intricate frames $1.00
1 bundle of ivory lace $1.00
15 half sheets patterned scrapbook paper $0.75
1 fabric stitch in wood frame $0.50
1 decorative glass bowl $0.50
1 glass atlas mason jar $0.50
1 large glass jar with lid $0.50
1 small glass jar with lid & buckle $1.00

And without further adieu... the after photos :)

First up, the frames!

I couldn't resist the intricate design of these frames. Even though the frames themselves are so small I had to pick them up anyways! I love how they turned out once I spray painted them!


When I was working on the items from the yard sales I also completed a few other projects I had lying around. I rearranged a gallery wall I have in my kitchen and was able to take a few things from there combined with my yard sale frames, and some newly painted items to create this grouping on a blank wall in my makeup room!


And as you can see I added the lace to some of the frames! I love the pattern of this lace! I just cut it and some kraft paper to fit the frame and put it in behind the glass! I took the mirror and medium sized ivory frame from the gallery wall in my kitchen, spray painted the large frame green, and the stars (which had been awful silver and black when I got them) gold at the same time I painted the small frames!

I am so pleased how this turned out! I love the arrangement, contrast of colors, and the lace!

Next up, the scrapbook paper.


I spray painted these two frames (from Walmart for $1.00 each) and cut out squares from two different patterned sheets of paper. I love how the aqua looks with the ivory and gold. I placed these on some built in shelves in my makeup room. So cute, right?

I finally have my rustic milky pastel painted mason jar!


And it didn't cost me the $15 or $20 they charge online. Nope! $0.50 for the jar, and old sponge brush, and some bottles of ivory and bright blue paint I already had on hand that I mixed together to get this shade! I love it! I'm thinking of possibly distressing it more because I want some of the paint to chip but otherwise I'm absolutely thrilled with how this turned out!


Since this was only painted on the outside I can actually put water in the jar which means I can use this as an adorable flower vase! I can't wait to get some fresh flowers in there!

I'm using a few of the glass items in my guest room...


This wood dresser was empty and screaming for something on top. With the help of the glass bowl and the glass jar with buckle (which I've filled with some lace scraps from the frame project) I pulled out some old books, a few glass soda bottles, and a wood plaque I got from Walmart a few years ago. I love how these items look together. I think there is a nice contrast between the really fancy bowl & lace and the old books and soda bottles.

Something I'm really looking forward to it the potential for using that glass jar as storage. I didn't have a need for it in my home right now which is why I chose to incorporate it as decor in my guest room but the lid and buckle are in great condition and make this jar great for storing small items!

These next two items I didn't do anything especially creative with them but I still wanted to show you where I'm using them in my home.

First, the large glass jar with lid...


This, like the small buckle jar, makes a great storage piece that can be both pretty & functional. I almost always have a small bag of gold potatoes sitting out on my counter. After washing out this jar and looking around my house I honestly couldn't stop thinking about that ugly bag of potatoes! With my luck, they all fit in the jar and I was able to throw out the bag! I don't think I'll always keep potatoes in here but it is working great now and when they run out, perhaps I'll move it somewhere else in the house. Who knows! 
(Isn't organization the best? It never has to stay the same!)

The last item I have to show you is the Love sign I got for $0.50!


I've placed this in a glass front cabinet in my family room. I like how it contrasts with the rough wood piece next to it and the decorative glass vase. I really want to paint these wood cabinets an ivory color and then distress them so the brown wood shows through. Even then I think this small sign will look great!


And there you have it! That is my latest yard sale adventure. I honestly think the most fun part was going to the yard sales all morning one Saturday and then the DIY projects afterwards! Plus, what store can you go to and find unique items for DIRT CHEAP!?! Oh that's right, you can't (well unless we're talking thrift store)! So my advice for you? (Because I'm giving advice now....)

Save some time for yourself this Saturday morning to go yard sale hunting!
Pick up some great new (to you) items and get those easy, creative, diy projects going in your own home!


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment